Friday, February 10, 2012

Changes...


I had never before realised how dependant I was on my Mother. I needed her wise counsel in my young inexperienced life. And I wasn’t ready to say goodbye. The thoughts kept coming as fast as I could run.
         I galloped up to Mother; skidded and rubbed my head on her shoulder and neck. And made short nickering noises on my thought. 
         “What’s the matter Sweetheart?” Mother asked me.
I told her everything. Mother listened and sympathised with me on some issues. But finally she replied.
         “You knew this day was coming, and we are still in the same farm for the time being. Plus you will have Prince, Sophie and Annie.
         “But I don’t want Annie, I want you.”
“You have my love. You will always have it, as for Farmer Jo saying you were a mistake, I want you to know this. You have been by far the most important thing in my life, far more precious and sweet then any victory I’ve had with show jumping.”
         “I love you” Mother called out for the last time as she was lead away. I whinnied good-bye to her, slowly and sadly. And grazed alone.
Sophie saw me and tried to cheer me up, but it was useless, so she went away.
         I watched Mother ride around the small arena and clear the jumps. Her beautiful coat (which had been groomed) shimmered in the sunlight. Her legs moved with ease and hurdled the jumps without ever changing rhythm.
         Eventually she was unsaddled and lead to the barn.
Later at night I tried to sleep but I couldn’t, so I tired to remember the stories Mother tolled me, and exactually the way she would nicker to me as I use to fall asleep, but I couldn’t. In my mind was the picture of Jack leading away my wonderful mother.

No comments:

Search Jilla